Meet Our Partners - Maurice Capps
Maurice Capps brought over 40 years of experience in assisting organizations in the areas of accounting, auditing, taxation and management consulting when his firm joined Martin Starnes & Associates, CPAs, P.A. through a merger in 2014. He worked at Thomas V. Bumbarger & Company in Hickory for six years before founding Capps, Foster & Company in 1972. Maurice has experience with a variety of organizations from start-up businesses to large privately-held companies. His areas of expertise are corporate, partnership, estate, fiduciary and individual income taxes; estate planning; finance and general management counseling.
In addition to his immense tax and audit experience, Maurice has the following achievements:
- Member of St. Luke's United Methodist Church and past member of the Finance Committee and Administrative Board
- Board member of the Catawba Valley Community College Foundation
- Past chairperson and board member of the BB&T Advisory Board
- Past board member of First Savings & Loan
- Past chairperson and board member for 19 years of the Community Affordable Housing Equity Corporation in Raleigh, NC
- Charter member, past president, and Rotarian of the Year of the Rotary Club of Lake Hickory
- Past board member of the Salvation Army Boys and Girls Club
- Past member of the United Way budget committee
- Member and past president of the Catawba Valley Chapter of NC Association of CPAs (NCACPA)
- NCACPA and AICPA member
- Attended Louisburg Junior College on basketball and baseball scholarships
- Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
He and his wife, Puddin, live in Hickory. Maurice can be found working Sudoku puzzles, gardening, and driving to the family farm near Henderson, NC. He also enjoys visiting his granddaughters and playing golf.