MSA Participates in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s
Employees of Martin Starnes and Associates CPA's, P.A. (MSA) employees and their family members participated in the Hickory Walk to End Alzheimer’s. This event is held annually in more than 600 communities nationwide, and The Hickory Walk took place at L.P. Frans Stadium in late October. The Alzheimer’s Association Walk to End Alzheimer’s is the largest event to raise awareness and funding for Alzheimer’s care, support and research.
The Alzheimer’s Association provides care and assistance to all those facing Alzheimer’s disease, including their family members and caregivers. It drives research toward treatment, prevention, and ultimately, a cure; and works to ensure that federal policy reflects the urgency of the Alzheimer’s epidemic.
The Alzheimer’s Association website gives us the following facts about the disease:
- More than 5 million Americans are currently living with Alzheimer’s disease.
- There are more than 15.9 million caregivers of people with Alzheimer’s disease in the United States.
- Alzheimer’s disease is the sixth-leading cause of death in the United States, and the only cause of death in the Top 10 in America for which there is no prevention or cure.
- One in three seniors dies with Alzheimer’s or other dementia.
- In the United States, someone develops Alzheimer’s every 66 seconds.
Some MSA employees participating in the Walk have lost family members to Alzheimer’s disease and walked to honor their memory. All were there to support the cause and the vision of a world without Alzheimer’s disease.
For more information on the Alzheimer's Association and how you can help visit: http://act.alz.org/site/TR/Walk2016/NC-WesternCarolina?fr_id=9143&pg=entry.
Article by: Crystal Barnes, Accounting Services