|The Internal Revenue Service just published its’ “Dirty Dozen” list for 2022. The list includes possible abusive activities everyone should avoid. Unfortunately, criminals are still using the COVID-19 pandemic to steal our money and identity with fake emails, social media posts and unexpected phone calls. A few of these scams are listed below:|
– Use of Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust (CRAT) to Eliminate Taxable Gain
– Economic Impact Payment and Tax Refund Scams
– Unemployment Fraud Leading to Inaccurate Taxpayer 1099-Gs
– Fake Employment Offers Posted on Social Media
– Fake Charities That Steal Your Money
– Ghost Preparers
– Inflated Refunds
– Text Message and Email Phishing and Phone Scams
One important thing to remember is that you are legally responsible for what is on your tax return, even if it is prepared by someone else.
Click here to read more about the 2022 Dirty Dozen Tax Scams.
Sources: Internal Revenue Service