|A group of MSA women virtually attended the Women’s Leadership Conference last week sponsored by The Chamber of Catawba County. Keynote presenter topics included: It Starts With You!, Rising to the Top: Creating a Life and a Business on Your Own Terms, Pity or Power and Breaking Barriers: Gender Stereotypes in the Workplace. |
The speakers were amazing but a couple of our ladies were deeply touched with former Major Jas Boothe’s story. She is a Disabled Army Veteran, Motivational Speaker, Trainer, Coach, Cancer Survivor and Spiritual Entrepreneur. Ms. Boothe lost her home in Hurricane Katrina; shortly after losing everything, she found out she had cancer which lead to being homeless and without a job. Veteran Affairs did not have assistance programs for female veterans at the time. Feeling helpless, she turned her pity into power and started her own nonprofit to help thousands of homeless, female veterans who have sacrificed so much for our country.
A few other thoughts that left an impression were:
– It’s ok to say “No!!!”It is never too late to start saving.
– Block out time on your calendar for yourself.
– Leadership is not about you, but it starts with you.
– “Ego” is the #1 action that holds all leaders back.
– Self-reflection is a must!Pursue what drives you and set your priorities straight!
– Find your purpose and realize the moment to know what your purpose is.
– Know the character of others and what to pay attention to – having those “Scooby Doo & Jedi mind” moments.
Submitted by: Lauren Larsen, Claire Chase and Amanda Linder