Monday, we let you know the IRS may extend the tax deadline due to COVID-19. Tuesday, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin announced the payment deadline would be extended to July 15th; however, this announcement did not extend the filing deadline beyond April 15th.
Today, Treasury Secretary Mnuchin announced the filing deadline has also been extended to July 15th.
What does This Mean for Tax Clients?
Your Federal Form 1040 filing and payment are due July 15th, 2020. No extension is required to be filed before this time. Currently, first quarter estimated tax payments are due July 15th; however, second quarter estimated tax payments are still due June 15th. We will update you of any changes in this due date.
Please note, North Carolina has not yet extended the filing deadline from April 15th to July 15th, but we expect the state will also make this change.
Effective 5:00 p.m. today Friday, March 20, 2020, we are temporarily closed to the public.
We will continue preparing your tax returns during this time.
Sending Information to Us:
- Inside our front door, you will find a box to drop off any information. This box is being monitored and cleared after each drop off.
- We are receiving and accepting all mail.
- We are receiving and accepting all emails and electronic documents through our secure portal. If you need assistance with our portal, please call 828-327-2727.
Receiving Information from Us:
- We will contact you when your return is finished. If you would like to come to our office to pick up your return, please call 828-327-2727 from our parking lot and we will place your return in the drop off box referenced above.
- We can UPS your information to you and you will need to send back the documents requiring signature.
- We can send your information to you electronically including documents requiring signature. Your information will be available for pick up at a later date or we can send via UPS.
What Does This Mean for Audit Clients?
MSA team members who are scheduled to work at your facility have been instructed to consult with you as to whether your offices are open and accepting visitors. We have advised employees who are ill or have family in their homes exhibiting symptoms of respiratory illness not to report to our offices or client work sites. Email will be the best way for communication and interaction.
Where Do We Go from Here?
We are making every effort to continue our tradition of quality client service. We plan to have a skeleton crew of employees available to assist you during this time. MSA will be following all Centers for Disease Control guidelines.
We will keep you updated as conditions change. If you have questions or concerns about your engagement, please contact your MSA manager or partner.